Monday, September 14, 2015

Blessed truffles

I was at the police station on Saturday morning while a yoga festival was taking place in the plaza.  As I was waiting, some loud microphone chanting and audience response was happening.  The woman in front of me asked what was going on today in Sebastopol?  The cop was very p.c. and replied, "I'm not sure," but with a look on her face that said, "Well, it's Sebastopol, so you're guess is as good as mine."
I do things as a blogger that I normally would not do.  The police station exchange led me to ask a number of people in front of Whole Foods what they thought was going on across the way.  (There were some booths, a big red tent, lots of flowers, some chanting and singing.) 
I mostly got "Yoga something" and a few "music festival?" responses as there was singing and drumming echoing across the square.  One person ventured, "Chanting for peace rally" and another: "the northern California version of Diwali."
And my favorite: "Isn't this just a normal Saturday morning in Sebastopol?"

My niece was on a tire swing with two other toddlers.  They were having fun and screaming pretty loudly.  At one point one of the boys bellowed, "It's too loud!  Everyone stop and take a breath!"  All three of them did stop for a minute and took a big breath together. 
(Then they went back to screaming.)

A woman came up to me in the Barlow and asked if I wanted some dark chocolate soft candy - infused with either blackberry sage or ginger chai.  Of course it was impossible to turn this down.  But what made it Sebastopol-like?  She explained this chocolate "medicine" was not only organic and raw, but also blessed.

At Whole Foods I overheard somebody talking about a new restaurant:  "They have Kombucha on tap!"

And at Safeway:  "They won't eat Ritz crackers.  They are really too progressive for that."

A friend reached her Sebasto-limit.  A few of the texts between us during her meltdown:
Friend:  Take your chakra singing bowl and add it to the bonfire that the drum circle is pounding their drums around!  And while you're at it toss in your business plan that is likely written on a napkin to launch your business as a health coach, yoga instructor or alternative healer!
Me:  Business plan written on a napkin while drinking lavender tea.
Friend:  My pendulum is going to swing and I'm going to become a Republican and start waving an American flag just so I can be alternative in this town!!!
Me:  Vote for Trump!  Start only eating things with gluten!


Favorite t-shirt:
(YOGA)
POSER


Each week I think I won't see any new license plates, but inevitably I always do...
MYSTICO
WAEL FOX
WTR FARY









No comments:

Post a Comment