Saturday, November 2, 2013

A quaint little town

One Saturday afternoon I was heading into Whole Foods when a nice family from India came up to me and asked if I lived in Sebastopol.  They were traveling in the U.S. for several weeks and were in northern California for a few days. 
"We read that Sebastopol is a quaint little town with cafes and shops.  Could you tell us how to find the cafes?" the father asked.  Personally, I would use the word quirky rather than quaint, but I don't write travel books.
I have an inner tour guide and which easily emerges around foreigners.  Especially foreigners with lovely accents.  I told them I would be glad to show them around for a few minutes if that would be helpful.   They were appreciative and the few minutes turned into two hours.  Deciding where to head, we talked for a moment in front of Whole Foods while a woman was hula-hooping.  She was also giving her card to someone and she teaches Zen hula-hooping sessions.  (If you do not know what Zen hula-hooping is, I am right there with you.)
There was the father and his daughter and I believe his sister and her husband in the group.  They were pleasant people and I learned about the region of India they were all from.  After the downtown jaunt we ended up at a teahouse.  We were waiting in line behind three young hipsters, who were all about the love.  I say this because I don't know what exactly they were talking about, but between the three of them, they echoed this about eight times in the three minutes we stood behind them.  Even when one of them handed the cashier a twenty dollar bill, it was "all about the love."  They turned around and looked at us so intently I thought we were all going to get embraced or be told it was all about the love.  But they ended up merely smiling and moving on.
As we were drinking tea Jagad mentioned someone told them to get massages while they were in Sebastopol.  "Could you recommend any good massage therapists here?  We would rather not go to a tourist spa center."
Sebastopol has an abundance of massage therapists.  If you walk down the street and pass four people, there is a good chance one of them is a masseuse.  (And another one is probably an MFT.)  I informed him there were several names I could give him.  The daughter - who I think probably would have rather been in L.A., or at least San Francisco - piped up, asking where they could go get some normal food.
To clarify, I asked her what she meant by 'normal' food. "Something without sprouts."
We walked back over to Whole Foods, and the woman was still hula-hooping although she had recruited a partner.  We said good-bye and I pointed them in the direction of a restaurant where they could find a 'normal' lunch.  Jagad said, "I like Sebastopol.  It is a town that appears to be very in touch with it's feminine side."
I nodded.  That being the understatement of the century.
"Very pleasant people," he noted.  We shook hands.  "And I will remember," he added with an amused look on his face, "that it is all about the love."


Favorite line of the week:
"It takes me twice as long to get through the Whole Foods in Sebastopol because of all the hugging."







 




No comments:

Post a Comment