Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween with a Sebastopol twist

I was wandering around the plaza on Saturday when I came upon a group of kids dressed up for Halloween, on their way home from an event where they had obtained plenty of candy for the coming weeks.  A young boy came alongside me.
"I like your snake costume," I mentioned.  He looked up at me and then his older sister (I presume) chimed in.
"He is a serpent."
"Oh.  Pardon me.  I like your serpent costume."
She stopped to talk to me.  "Our dad was born the year of the serpent."
One minute conversation with someone under the age of twelve, and we were already talking about Chinese astrology.  I, too, was born the year of the snake.  So fortunately I was able to converse with this young girl who was either a fairy princess or a unicorn.  I couldn't quite tell.  There appeared to be elements of both.
I asked what her costume was, and she said it was a question.  Would she tell me what the question was?
"What do you get when you cross a fairy and a unicorn?"
Well, yes.  That is exactly what she appeared to be.
A mermaid, a ladybug and a boy in a cardboard box came over to us.  The boy in the box also had some plastic bottles hanging off of him.  He held up a sign.  "Recycling in action."  You had to love it - not just recycling, recycling in action.  I think it was my favorite costume so far this year.
Some other young children came up to me, but when they discovered I didn't have any candy they quickly wandered off.  There were some cute costumes, but one boy about seven years old was dressed entirely in bluish-purple, from head to toe.  I couldn't fathom what he was.
I asked if he was a blueberry popsicle.  He said no.  Was he a blueberry pop-tart?  He was not.  Finally another kid told him to lie on the ground.  Which he did, perfectly still and hands at his side.  Several of them were looking at me.  I still did not have the faintest idea.  "A blueberry popsicle that fell on the ground?"
Several of them giggled.  "Just tell her," one of them said.
He was a yoga mat.  I mean seriously, how can you top that?

Guest contributor:
My friend Jess was shopping at Whole Foods.  She heard one employee say to another: "Which goddess are you representing today?"
The reply:  "I'm Oya, one of the Orishas."  And proceeded to talk about her daily divinity choice.


Favorite line of the week:
"Well, keep me posted as to what the pendulum is saying."

No comments:

Post a Comment