Saturday, December 7, 2013

What's in the cards for today?

I was sitting in the back corner of Milk and Honey (a gift shop with a strong female identity) where there are some comfortable seats and a table with many decks of cards to draw from (tarot, goddess, self-care, animal cards among others).  A woman was standing reading the bulletin board, viewing the many fliers for yoga classes and local workshops.  (See On Any Given Weekend, previous blog.)  She inhaled deeply and said to no one in particular, "This is great.  I haven't had a good scented candle fix for a while."
A person meandering close by came and sat down on the couch by me, and invited the woman on the olfactory high to come draw a card.  Apparently, from their comments, they had just been in a qi gong class together.
One drew from an angel deck and showed us the card.  It was "Children."
"I just got a two hour break from my kids going to qi gong!  Why does that mean, to draw a card about children?"
"There are different meanings.  You should read what the card means," her fellow classmate said.
The Mom on a Break picked up the small booklet.  After reading the blurb, she stated, "I want to draw another card."
The other woman chose a card from a goddess deck, drawing a goddess none of us had heard of.  She read what this goddess symbolizes which had to do with using one's voice and/or creativity.  She sighed.  "Truth be told, I'd rather draw a card that says I'm going to make more money."
"Well, that would be Lakshmi," I informed her.
They both stared at me.  "Seriously," I said.  Lakshmi is well-known for prosperity and abundance, and I had recently been in a small business where I noticed the owner had place a Lakshmi statue near the cash register.  (And, I should point out, this was actually in Santa Rosa even.)
"Do they have any prints of her here?" the woman asked.
"Definitely."  There is never a shortage of Lakshmi statues, cards and pictures at Milk and Honey. 
She got up to look around.  The other woman seemed to be contemplating something.  She said to me after a moment:  "There are so many divination card decks now.  I can't believe nobody has made one with Super Heroes."
I laughed.  "I like that idea." 
"If you knew it was going to be a hard day at work, how great would it be to draw the Incredible Hulk over your morning cup of coffee?"
"I think you are on to something."
I pictured a line of divination cards on one of the Milk and Honey shelves:  The Magician (tarot) card, Athena from the goddess deck, Inspiration from the Angel deck and WONDER WOMAN. 


Favorite line of the week:
Regarding the Milk and Honey window:  "There is a cauldron full of sao paolo sticks, and around the sao paolo is a circle of goddesses."

 



No comments:

Post a Comment