Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sebastopol Du-uu-uude

I was with an ex-co-worker and some friends of friends who were visiting from southern California.  Somehow the conversation turned to how one of them desired to learn more about the local culture during his week in west Sonoma County.  He was asking how he could more aptly fit in.
"Well," one women wanted to know, "do you want to be a 'Sebastopol Guy' or a 'Sebastopol Dude?'"
Another guy interjected, "And then there is Sebastopol Dude and Sebastopol Du-uu-uude."
I should be clear that I personally do not know the distinctions between all these.  But everybody laughed.
He replied, "I think I am too old to be a dude.  So how about Sebastopol Guy?"
"Do you mean a SNAG?" I asked.
Someone wanted to know what a SNAG was.  Several of us answered in unison:  "Spiritual new age guy."
Troy, aspiring Sebastopolian, responded:  "I don't think I am a SNAG."
"Well, you will fit right in," I maintained.  "Most SNAGs do not think they are SNAGs."
Several members of our little group smiled, nodding their heads.  Most everyone had ideas for fitting in as Sebastopol Guy:
Sit in front of Whole Foods chatting for long periods of time.
When you say good-bye to someone, add "Blessings" at the end.
Go to a yoga class or two.  Or at least carry a yoga mat around. 
Consume something that contains green tea.
Attend Soul Motion.  Someone asked what this is, and the woman explained, "A conscious dance-movement class on Sunday mornings."
Which led to the next suggestion:  "Use the word 'conscious' a lot.  You know, if you garden or do bookkeeping, make sure it is conscious gardening, conscious bookkeeping."  (This reminded me of a flier I recently saw for Conscious Housekeeping.)
Buy a dream journal.
Learn at least three attributes about your astrological sign.  Troy is a Libra.  I think he was told at least eight attributes by the people in this little crowd.  Because the three attributes ended up being so easy, someone said it would be more impressive if he found out his rising sign and was able to converse about it.  "Does everyone have a rising sign?" he asked.
A woman put her arm around him.  "Oh, Troy.  You have a lot to learn this week."
Try Kombucha.  Troy was not excited about this, but he did agree to at least try organic beer or wine.
Troy reached into his jacket pocket.  "This is very involved.  I think I need to make a list on my palm pilot."  And after a few seconds, being the quick learner, he added:  "I think I need to make a list - consciously of course."


Favorite line of the week:
"Two astrological forecasts ago..."




No comments:

Post a Comment