Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sebastopol loopholes

A friend, who used to live in west county years ago, was visiting from Solano County.  She came up for the weekend and was determined to hang out with me to have some Sebastopol Moments. No matter how many times I explain to people that a) I have no control over when Sebastopol encounters occur and b) there are many, many days in my life where nothing eventful takes place, they still want to roam the streets with me believing that just walking around Sebastopol will conjure up blog worthy material.  I told her I could not guarantee anything.  But she was fixated on the idea.
We set out to do her Sebastopol loop, which began at Funk and Flash.  After looking at some nice 70s-style boots while listening to very loud music, I stepped outside to reply to a text.  Kellie came out a few minutes later, saying to me:  "You know what I notice about people here after being gone for so many years?"
I shook my head.
"A lot of people around here have very good posture."
I don't know what I expected her to say, but it wasn't that.  {note to self: that was a blog-worthy comment}
We were about ready to make our way to Copperfield's when my we noticed a woman sitting on a bench with an apricot-colored crystal, reading a pamphlet.  When we strolled by my friend said hi, and the woman looked up.  "Love and light," she said.  "Love and light."
We walked to the stoplight and my friend said, "See!  That doesn't happen in Benicia."
Copperfield's was pretty quiet, as was Rosemary's Garden.  But we did hear a shopper talking to her friend about changing her name.  She had narrowed the choices to Dove, Falcon or Seastar. Her friend asked, "Are you talking about your first name or last name?  Because Debby Dove sounds like a cartoon character."
On to Milk and Honey where Kellie purchased some candles and a deck of self-care cards.  We sat in the back for a few minutes while she looked through the deck.  As we were going to continue our trek to East West Cafe, a woman sat down next to us.  She wondered if we could do a reading for her.  My friend said she didn't know how to do readings.
"I had a dream a few nights ago I was in Milk and Honey and someone was helping me figure out a problem in my life," she told us.  "They told me to draw a card and I would get the answer."  She looked at us imploringly, as if we were supposed to help her play this dream out.  Again she asked us to help her draw a card.  I suddenly felt I was caught in a Jungian whirlpool.
Kellie told her we needed to go somewhere.  The woman started to make the same request again, and then appeared to surrender.  "Okay, maybe this is a lesson.  Maybe I need to learn to draw cards on my own.  Maybe doing this alone will help me find the answers I need."  
We both nodded, more from hunger than agreement.
She stared at several decks on the table in front of her so intently I wondered if one of them was going to levitate.
We dashed out of there, ready for a late lunch.  "Oh, ye of little faith," Kellie said to me.  "Just a half hour on Main Street and already we have been quite Sebastopol'ed."

Woman, to her friend by the salad bar at Whole Foods:  "So this is a vegetarian pot luck?  Great.  There will be one really good veggie dish, some carrot sticks and a bunch of chips and salsa."


Favorite license plate:
SR MMNTS

No comments:

Post a Comment