Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The land of interesting names

While I was waiting for a chai, I overheard a gentleman to his friend (I don't know what the topic was):  "Well, it depends on which dimension you are in.  If you go into another dimension, it could play out very differently."

I was clearing some things out of the back of my car, most of them recycling items.  I asked my friend's daughter, who is six, if she could hand me a soft drink bottle.  "This is a pro-biotic drink," she corrected me.
"Yes," I said as she put it in my bag.
"Soda is not good for you," she added in an admonishing tone.

At the library I ran into the "Q is for Quan Yin" girl.  I asked her how she knew about Quan Yin, given that she is quite young and looked like neither a Sebastopol hippie darling nor a Waldorf child.  She informed me, "I just know."  Her mother overheard me talking to her and sat down next to us.
"Well, she did not 'get' Quan Yin from me.  And she definitely did not get that from my husband."
I asked if they had ever been to Milk and Honey.  The mom had, but she wasn't sure about her daughter.
A few minutes later the young girl murmured, "Jade."
"Of course!" her mom exclaimed.  Turning to me, she said a bit quietly, "I forgot about her babysitter from a while back.  Very into... counter culture.  When I ran into her a few months ago she had changed her name again, to Dawnlight.  Or something along those lines."

"What is Earth in Upheaval?" someone asked me.
"It's a mechanic place."
"To fix your car?"
I nod.
"What kind of a strange Sebastopol name is that?  It's a place to take your car??"

After the last post (mentioning a dog named Blissful), I got an email that read:
"When I was in college my parents rented out a cottage on our property in rural Sebastopol.  The woman that rented it had three cats.  I can't remember all their names, but two of them were Celestite and Lavender Fire."

In the parking lot at Whole Foods, a teenager in front of me was telling someone on her cell phone, "She is goth, but she is very balanced goth."

A woman I know went to a presentation regarding essential oils at a small store in Sebastopol. After a somewhat lengthy discussion about the positive attributes of essential oils, another woman interrupted the presenter:  "You're in Sebastopol.  We are believers.  You are preaching to the choir."


License plates of the week:
INTUIT
YOGAMOM (thanks Bryan)
MRLIN
SOUL LVL


And a humorous article about New York dudes channeling northern California dudes:
"If You Give a Dude a Kale Chip"
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/give-dude-kale-chip










1 comment: