Sunday, June 5, 2016

Angry (sol)birds

A young woman told me about a neighbor family she used to babysit for.  The parents were meditative and tranquil.  The children were not allowed to argue and if they did had to go outside to the garden and quiet themselves.  She said, "They were really a nice family, but the parents were so peaceful they didn't even let their kids play angry birds on their phones."
"The game was too hostile for their zen household?" I asked.
She smiled.  "Exactly."

During the changes at Whole Foods a cashier told me the workers came in late in the evening and worked all night, usually loading up on Rockstars at the beginning of their shifts.  This reminded me of watching several people get jacked up on yerba mate and raw cacao desserts late one evening to prepare a downtown shop for the holidays.  (And I'm actually not talking about Milk and Honey.  Hand to Lakshmi.)

With a group of people at a park:
"I just put my hand in bird crap."
"Is that good luck?"
"In Sebastopol it is."

As I was strolling through Community Market I heard a woman incredulously ask the person she was with:  "What do you mean you don't know what kimchi is?  How can you never have had kim-chi?"

A Starbucks customer mentioned a dinner group she has been in for a while.  She described some of the members: "They are delightful people.  But when they start talking about different dimensions or beings from other realms I just go south."

"... and you buy cashew butter that is twelve dollars, and because it's organic it only lasts for three hours."

As I was walking out of Whole Foods, I heard a woman saying rather sternly to (I'm assuming) her mother or mother-in-law visiting from another state:  "Well, welcome to California.  We compost here.  We recycle."

The moment you realize the two toddlers you are watching are building a fort out of yoga mats.


License plates:
SOL BIRD
FERMENT
RAY LUVR



A tip jar at a local restaurant














No comments:

Post a Comment