Sunday, June 4, 2017

You know the type

Cashier:  "Would you like a receipt?"
Woman in front of me:  "Yes please.  In case I wonder later how much the fresh turmeric was."

A worker in a local coffee shop told me she talked with a couple visiting from the bay area.  She asked if they liked Sebastopol.  The woman replied, "Yes, it's a cute little town.  But way too many calm people."

"The friendly, mild mannered Analy post-Waldorf type of kid.  Very chill, you know the type."

Elsewhere in the county, several of us are discussing gift possibilities for someone turning 40.  A couple of ideas are thrown out there.  I know the woman likes poetry and is beginning a graduate program.  "What about a Saraswati statue?"  I suggest, referring to the Hindu goddess of knowledge, music and the arts.  The three of them fall silent and stare at me.  "I'm sorry," I apologize, laughing.  "I forgot I'm not in Sebastopol.  Okay, I'll back up.  Has anyone here ever been to Milk and Honey?"  More blank faces.  "All right... has anyone ever heard of Milk & Honey?  Or Hinduism?"

From an acquaintance who works at a pre-school:
This little piggy went to market
This little piggy stayed home
This little piggy had an organic grass-fed burger
This little piggy had none.

1, 2 ... who are you?
3. 4 ... hugs galore
5, 6 ... they're hypocrites
7, 8 ... I can't wait
9, 10 ... to love again!
I asked about the hypocrites.  She responded, "I don't know who 'they' are in 5-6.  I think maybe the neighbors of the family that made this up?  Neighbors who aren't very loving I guess?"

Gwion (local merchant and forest sage) noticed:
"Today in Sebastopol - A young girl, perhaps 4 or 5 years old, stopped to pet the wolf on the mural.  She put her arm around it, pet it and asked what it was looking at." 

"We've got lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint.  All the essential oils greatest hits."


Spiritual bumper stickers:
Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.  That's why it's called the present.

License plates:
RVR JOY
BZRD QST
SNOW BLL
MAPL ZIN







It has been suggested to me a number of times to get some local sponsors but I have been reluctant since I believe it's nice to read a blog without ads popping up.  I would like to recommend some local places solely to support local business as my sister was a small business owner for many years.  (I am not receiving anything for these endorsements.) 
My new favorite deli/cafe:
Down to Earth in Cotati
https://www.dtecafe.com








4 comments:

  1. I am wondering if the "painted wolf" the little child petted was "the painted coyote" on the Masonic hall building. There is a big difference in the animals. Thought the child probably did not care about that. Thanks for blog. I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else told me it was a dog. :) I will have to go check out this mystery canine.

      Delete
  2. Whenever I read your blog, it makes me want to go around town saying the most sebastopol things that I can.

    ReplyDelete