Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sebastopol city ordinances

I work with teens and my shift starts early everyday.  I am usually driving to work around 6:30 a.m.  Because of my work schedule I am rather tired during the week and do not usually stay out late.  Which is why I tend not to go to a venue on a Thursday evening when I know the band won't start playing until 10.
But I was very excited about this band.  I had heard them in San Francisco a year before.  A band with a Balkan gypsy music edge, I had watched their posts on Facebook talking about performances in New York, Los Angeles, France.  Much to my surprise one day a post appeared in my newsfeed about a show in Sebastopol.  Really?  I didn't even have to drive to Berkeley or the city?  I was stoked.  The only drawback was that it would be a Thursday evening.  I would just have to bite the bullet and know that on Friday I would be exhausted.
I tried to take a nap that afternoon but it did not work.  So I was already sleepy when I got to Hop Monk around nine o'clock and of course there was no music playing.  I sat outside for a minute waiting for a friend but received a text from her she wasn't yet on her way.  I went back to my car.  I read a few texts to keep me occupied but my eyes were tired. 
Unfortunately that morning I had woken up even before my alarm even went off.  It had been a long day.  I leaned the seat back in my car a little bit and closed my eyes.  Maybe if I rested for a few minutes I could get a second wind.  I was parked close enough that I would hear the music when it began.
Because I had been up early it wasn't a huge surprise that I fell asleep.  Not for long, however, because I woke up probably 20 minutes later due to a beaming light shining through the window.  I realized it was a cop.  Rolling down the window I said, "Yes?"
The officer was on his bike.  (Serioulsy.)  He asked me if I had been sleeping and I replied, "Sort of.  I'm just waiting for someone who hasn't gotten here yet."  I was disoriented but it wasn't for any reason they were suspecting.  I was disoriented because I wasn't used to having someone shine a bright light in my face.
Then he asked for my i.d. which I gave to him.  A police car pulled up and the second cop (also on a bike) walked over to it.  They ran my driver's license number.  Cop on a Bike #1 asked me how much I'd had to drink.  I almost started laughing.  "I haven't even been inside yet.  I'm waiting for someone," I repeated. 
He shined his light in the back seat of my car, illuminating my pile of notebooks and a Whole Foods bag.  I yawned twice which I guess wasn't the thing to do.  Not because I had been drinking but because I had been awake since five a.m..  (For the fourth day in a row.)
He asked me again how much alcohol I had consumed.  "None," I reiterated.  I thought they were going to make me get out of the car and walk a straight line.
Cop on a Bike #2 brought my license back.  "She's all clear." 
#1 said, "Are you aware it is against the law to sleep in your car in Sebastopol?"
Actually I was not aware of that.  But please - it wasn't as if I had passed out in the back seat, nor was it four in the morning.  It was 9:45 in the evening!  I tried to muster my polite voice and said I wasn't aware of that particular city ordinance but now I knew. 
The squad car pulled away and the two cops got back on their bikes.  Evidently this had been a three man deal.
I picked up my cell phone and texted my sister:  You know how we joke that Sebastopol police don't have much to do?



Favorite sighting of the week:
I pulled up behind a Honda Pilot.  Above the "4 WD" was another plaque that said "Namaste."  (Just to be clear - not a bumper sticker, a silver plaque.)






No comments:

Post a Comment