Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sebastopol sunrise

You know you've lived in Sebastopol for a while when any line of conversation can be connected back to astrology and it doesn’t faze you.


I had dropped a friend off at the Santa Rosa airport and found myself in the Sebastopol plaza early one morning with a couple of hours to spare.  It was a chilly morning and the fog would not burn off for a few hours.  The small coffee place in the plaza had just opened.  I ordered my chai and found myself chatting with a few early morning stray folk.
The guy next to me was quite tall with thick curly hair.  He looked like a hippie version of Kenny G.  He was talking about his car breaking down the day before.  Sitting next to him was a younger girl obsessed with texting on her phone.  When she asked for “extra syrup, please” - I don’t quite know how - it sounded like “plz."  Barely looking up, she commented that her phone had been doing some strange things this week.  A woman walked up and ordered tea, not saying anything.  She looked like she had come of age in the seventies and never quite left that decade.  
Two Sebastopol dudes (and I think it is okay to call them that, because most of their sentences began with, "Dude...") chimed in that some car they drove kept breaking down this week AND the last time, when they needed a tow, the tow truck they called never showed up.  Cell phone girl had a story about going to a scheduled appointment and the doctor’s office was locked and empty.  And I observed that my friend's car had not started and she had nearly missed her flight, which was why I was up so early on a Saturday morning in the first place. 
“Strange,” Kenny G noted. 
The woman with the seventies scarf remarked, “Not really.”  And launched into an explanation regarding a lunar eclipse and planetary trine that was taking place at the moment.  Astrologically speaking, it was not smooth sailing right now.  And it would be this way for at least another week.
“So it’s a stars thing?” one of the dudes asked. 
“It's the planets,” she corrected.  She smiled, took her tea and macramĂ© bag and was on her way.
“So…” the other dude wanted to know (and for some reason looking at me), “our car broke down because of Venus?”

Favorite line of the week…

My co-worker and I looking at the cover of a New Age cd a musician had given me:  "Are the emus and owls flying into or out of the rainbow vortex?"
"They appear to be flying around the rainbow vortex."





No comments:

Post a Comment